The NZSOLD Management Committee is delighted to announce the results of the second annual 2019/2020 poster competition.
The winner in the Young Professional category was Dan Hale of Riley Consultants, with a poster titled: Understanding the Geology of Cobb Dam with Leapfrog 3D Modelling. The runner-up in the Young Professional category was Hanna Aung of Dam Safety Intelligence Ltd, with a poster titled: Public Safety around Dams in New Zealand.
In the student category, the winner was Thomas Wallace with a poster on his completed Master of Engineering (ME, Civil) project at the University of Canterbury: Determining Flood Effects due to Undocumented Stopbanks on the Waimea Floodplain. The runners-up in the student category were Petra O’Bery and Katie Vincent (2019 final year BE(Hons) students at the University of Canterbury) with their poster titled: Experimental Assessment of Filter-Core Compatibility of Embankment Dams. Petra is now employed with Stantec Inc, and Katie with Holmes Consultants.
Winners of the two categories were each awarded $1000 for their efforts, while the runner-up received $500. All entries were of a high quality, with relevant themes able to pique interest and promote discussion. The judging panel thank all the applicants and look forward to growth of the competition in future years.
All prize-winning and commended posters are available to view on the NZSOLD website and will be displayed the next NZSOLD technical event in late 2020.
- Young Professional Category, 1st place (Dan Hale, Riley Consultants)
- Young Professional Category, 2nd place (Hanna Aung, Dam Safety Intelligence Limited)
- Student Category, 1st place (Thomas Wallace, University of Canterbury)
- Student Category, 2nd place (Petra O’Bery and Katie Vincent, University of Canterbury)
- Adele Amos, University of Canterbury
- Dominic Fletcher, Tonkin and Taylor
- Mohammad Okhovat, Damwatch Engineering
- Philip Winter, Trustpower